Midi Monitor Window

• Danballsr
  • Danballsr's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #508 by Danballsr
Midi Monitor Window was created by Danballsr
It would be really useful to have a midi monitoring window that can track all the data stream received from the controller in log format. Perhaps this could be an arrow in the lower left corner right next to the imox logo, since that shows the midi signal indicator already. Pressing the arrow could expand or collapse this logged info into the sound preset display window, much like the arrow that expands or collapses the sound preset description information.
Perhaps you have that already in another form. Thanks for considering this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #513 by imoxplus
Replied by imoxplus on topic Midi Monitor Window
hmm... I understand the request but I'm not sure if this is a good move to include into Respiro because properly visualizing midi data is kind of other ball-game. I would recommend MIDIOX for Windows and MIDIMONITOR (snoize) for Mac. www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

What problem do you want to resolve by monitoring the midi data ??? maybe I can workout other easier solutions...

• Danballsr
  • Danballsr's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #515 by Danballsr
Replied by Danballsr on topic Midi Monitor Window
The problem is trying to verify how the controls on the instrument are being received. This means verifying the entire communications chain; is the controller sending the right signal? Is the instrument set up right? Is the midi connection being made through the right interface? Is the right channel being triggered? What signal is being received? Here are specific examples:
1) My EWI has a glide sensor next to the octave rollers. I can control the amount of contact by adjusting my thumb pressure, and I can control the amount of signal by using two knobs. I can control the channel and type of signal sent using the software settings.
I would like to use that to controls some parameters in Respiro, but in order to do it, I need a good read on what channel and what levels of midi signal are being received, if any. When it doesn't work as I expect, I can open another program with a midi monitor window and see what signal is being triggered. My issue might be that my knobs are set wrong, or that I have a software setup for another VST.
2) On my EWI if I press a side button, or the pitchbend up, with a midi monitor window, These can be configured in my EWI but it is cryptic with the little window and hard to know what I set it last. With the midi monitor, I can quickly see how it is being registered on the VST, and then set that CC or PC to match in the VST on the right parameter.
3) I can connect my Akai LPD8 in parallel and use the knobs or pads to control parameters in the VST while I play with my EWI. In order to do so, I need to see that the midi is received from a different device and possibly channel, and make sure that the CC is being received as expected.

Another way to do this instead of a midi log, is on Kontakt's automation window. When I trigger a signal, it shows the channel and value that it is being received. There I can adjust the input and output to achieve the goal. But your graphical windows are much better as long as I can tell what channel is being triggered and that I have my controllers talking to Respiro.
Yet another way is have a strip of LED like lights that show the intensity for each CC.

In summary, a visualization or indication of Respiro receiving these parameters would help me: Midi Interface Connection, Midi Channel, Midi CC or PC, Midi Value.

Thanks for thinking about this!
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Danballsr. Reason: Clarification and add summary

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #517 by imoxplus
Hey Dan
OK, thanks for explaining your needs a bit more. I will put this on my BIG list and think about how to achieve this..in the future versions...

The channel led-strip might be an idea... Just be aware that Respiro also needs to support MPE devices and these send HUGE amounts of data...

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #518 by puremusic
Replied by puremusic on topic Midi Monitor Window
I wonder how MIDI monitoring is going to be handled once MIDI 2.0 goes mainstream.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #519 by imoxplus
fully agree... it might be even an opportunity to build a great new kind of MIDI 2.0 monitoring tool...

Also, it became clear to me that the more powerful a protocol becomes, the more different kind of implementations are done... example: MPE role vs MPE Linnstrument.. one thing is sure, plug-ins that want to survive will need to keep the complexity away from the musician...

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds