SOLUTION (VST3i): Alternative approach for Midi Program Change

More
1 year 6 days ago #684 by GaryZman
Replied by GaryZman on topic Midi Program Change
I have Ableton and Cubase on Windows 10 (so only VSTi) and haven't yet tried to doing Program Changes dynamically. I also have Yamaha MFC10 Foot Controller that I used to do Program Changes (and other stuff) with XPression. So before trying out some things with my newly purchased Respiro, I am looking for some clarification and tips to help me save some time.

Will the method described for Reaper similarly work with Ableton and Cubase? - If so, it is still unclear to me. I understand sending a Program Change message, but what kind of message is here actually being sent (it just says "sending the CC with the corresponding message for the instrument...") and how does it ("Reaper") know to do a Program Change? Or is this jus a specific Reaper feature that can't be used for Ableton and Cubase? If so, what approach can work with Ableton and Cubase?

Ultimately, I am really hoping to be able to rely on using my Yamaha MFC10 Foot Controller to able to do such Program Changes whether I am using Respiro in standalone mode or with either Ableton or Cubase (or other DAWs).

It is very unfortunate that this feature is not directly supported in VSTi3 (no idea what that rationale is!) but I am sure that a lot of us consider having such an easy Program Change method for Windows Respiro as essential, and I hope such a method is already available. If not, I would think this should be high on the list of enhancements.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 days ago #685 by imoxplus
Replied by imoxplus on topic Midi Program Change
Actually, when you download Respiro for Windows you will find in the unzip installer folder a file called Respiro.dll. This is an unofficial VST2 that is still listening to midi prog changes. You can copy this dll into your VST2 folder.

VST3i development kit provided (licensed) by Steinberg does not provide the support for program changes... many developers complained about this..

I'm using version 3.6.7 of the VST3 SDK and while writing this reply I saw that Steinberg has now 3.7 available.. I will check this out and hopefully they included a solution we are looking for ;-)

More
1 year 5 days ago #686 by GaryZman
Keeping fingers crossed for VST 3.7 to include Program Change functionality again...

In the meanwhile, you have the following statements under DAW AUTOMATION in the manual:
"However, Steinberg removed program change capability from their VST3i format. Respiro has added a special Program automation lane in order to receive program changes via automation (values 1-128)."
Can you provide more information on how to set up and use this "special Program automation lane", or is this incorrect and it is not available?

Also thanks for the tip about the unofficial VST2 version that's available. I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to know if their are any downsides (features lost and/or other stuff) to using the VST2 version.

Thanks for the help!

More
1 year 5 days ago #687 by imoxplus
VST2 is more CPU consuming and has less features for MPE support etc..
Respiro will work fine under VST2...I have many users and they did not report issues...

I hope to find time to dig into VST SDK 3.7 during next week...

More
1 year 4 days ago #690 by imoxplus
Unfortunately the updated VST3i SDK is not backward compatible for midi -program changes...

developer.steinberg.help/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9798267

More
1 year 4 days ago #691 by GaryZman
Disappointing, but thanks for the follow up.

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds