Respiro and LinnStrument problem

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #413 by LarsDaniel
New user here. Very happy about the expressivenes of Respiro, but there seems to be a bug:

Linnstrument works with the pitch bend range set to 24. (It can do smaller range also, but this is the optimal setting.) So I set Respiro PB to + 24 and -24. This works fine, BUT: Long glides reveal an error in the pitch bend range. If I glide up two octaves, I end up about a half tone flat. So to get the right pitch I have to glide up a half tone more, in other words 25 semitones.
When I found this, I off course double checked PB settings for both Respiro and Linnstrument, but they were as they should be, both 24 st.

What I have also found out (and this is an indication that there is a problem in the modelling engine), is that with some sounds, a long glide up introduces a beating in the sound (as in oscillators beating when detuned), that does not seem intentional. So my guess is that maybe there is a PB parameter somewhere in the engine that has an offset that is wrong, causing big pitch bends to either go out of tune, or to sound "detuned" within themselves.

Best regards
-Lars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #414 by LarsDaniel
Also: The problem is related to some sound models but not all. E.g. All the Sisters And Brothers sounds work perfectly fine with a two octave glide, Blue Skylines also work. Colour of Brass is way off, as a one octave glide up only takes you 11 st up. Pedro Panpipe IV only goes 10 st up when doing an octave slide.
So: I think someone might need to go through the programming of every single sound, and check for errors in pitch bend behavior.

I imagine, that these errors have not been found yet, since one would only notice them using a Linnstrument or Seaboard or similar. And I imagine, that most people (and certainly the developers) are using controllers based on wind instruments.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #417 by imoxplus
Hey Lars... the bending issues you are reporting are indeed in relation to how an instrument is modelled. Some instruments survive a long range bend, while others do not.. this is due to the Physical model behaviour. A maximum has been done to allow for large bending, but unfortunately not all instruments can be optimised to do this... this is a limitation that is not easy to overcome...

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #418 by LarsDaniel
Ok, I understand. Perhaps it would be good to mention in the FAQ? Because one may otherwise spend some time trouble-shooting...
Anyway, it is no big deal. Just good to know, that this is how it is.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #421 by imoxplus
Agree with you... this is something I should mention in the faqs....When further expanding the sound engine I will try to add building blocks that can deal with large bend range...

• Frank
  • Charging Sylphyo : absorbing the manual
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #478 by Frank
Maybe add in the description box of each model : when pitchbend range is limited.
Faq is a bit "far" from the sound.
And in the manual a line that pitchbend range can be limited.
Regards
Frank

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds