Respiro and LinnStrument problem

• LarsDaniel
  • LarsDaniel's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #413 by LarsDaniel
Respiro and LinnStrument problem was created by LarsDaniel
New user here. Very happy about the expressivenes of Respiro, but there seems to be a bug:

Linnstrument works with the pitch bend range set to 24. (It can do smaller range also, but this is the optimal setting.) So I set Respiro PB to + 24 and -24. This works fine, BUT: Long glides reveal an error in the pitch bend range. If I glide up two octaves, I end up about a half tone flat. So to get the right pitch I have to glide up a half tone more, in other words 25 semitones.
When I found this, I off course double checked PB settings for both Respiro and Linnstrument, but they were as they should be, both 24 st.

What I have also found out (and this is an indication that there is a problem in the modelling engine), is that with some sounds, a long glide up introduces a beating in the sound (as in oscillators beating when detuned), that does not seem intentional. So my guess is that maybe there is a PB parameter somewhere in the engine that has an offset that is wrong, causing big pitch bends to either go out of tune, or to sound "detuned" within themselves.

Best regards
-Lars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LarsDaniel
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #414 by LarsDaniel
Replied by LarsDaniel on topic Respiro and LinnStrument problem
Also: The problem is related to some sound models but not all. E.g. All the Sisters And Brothers sounds work perfectly fine with a two octave glide, Blue Skylines also work. Colour of Brass is way off, as a one octave glide up only takes you 11 st up. Pedro Panpipe IV only goes 10 st up when doing an octave slide.
So: I think someone might need to go through the programming of every single sound, and check for errors in pitch bend behavior.

I imagine, that these errors have not been found yet, since one would only notice them using a Linnstrument or Seaboard or similar. And I imagine, that most people (and certainly the developers) are using controllers based on wind instruments.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #417 by imoxplus
Replied by imoxplus on topic Respiro and LinnStrument problem
Hey Lars... the bending issues you are reporting are indeed in relation to how an instrument is modelled. Some instruments survive a long range bend, while others do not.. this is due to the Physical model behaviour. A maximum has been done to allow for large bending, but unfortunately not all instruments can be optimised to do this... this is a limitation that is not easy to overcome...

• LarsDaniel
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #418 by LarsDaniel
Replied by LarsDaniel on topic Respiro and LinnStrument problem
Ok, I understand. Perhaps it would be good to mention in the FAQ? Because one may otherwise spend some time trouble-shooting...
Anyway, it is no big deal. Just good to know, that this is how it is.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #421 by imoxplus
Replied by imoxplus on topic Respiro and LinnStrument problem
Agree with you... this is something I should mention in the faqs....When further expanding the sound engine I will try to add building blocks that can deal with large bend range...

• Frank
  • Charging Sylphyo : absorbing the manual
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #478 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Respiro and LinnStrument problem
Maybe add in the description box of each model : when pitchbend range is limited.
Faq is a bit "far" from the sound.
And in the manual a line that pitchbend range can be limited.
Regards
Frank

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds